tax photo

Your ex is a tax cheat…with your child

Question of the Day:

You’re divorced and your ex is a tax cheat claiming your child on their tax returns, but you have primary custody.  You offer several options: Cease to claim the child; share the refund by claiming the child on alternate years, or; you get the refund and pay yearly incidentals. Your ex doesn’t accept any of these alternatives, and is adamant that he or she will claim the child since they pay child support.  How would you handle this?

Leave a Comment

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Subscribe for More

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Ak Hasan

The root of the issue is the initial divorce filing. It should have been stated in the divorce filing who was going to claim, whether alternate years or some other arraingement. This way if/when the IRS comes knocking you have evidence to support your claim.